Monday, June 25, 2018

Review: Counterfeit Boyfriend

Counterfeit Boyfriend Counterfeit Boyfriend by Cindi Madsen
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

***I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review. This doesn’t influence my review in any way.***

This book is about two people falling in love. Lol. It is a romance book so there is falling in love involved. Anyway, it’s about a guy, Ethan, who pretended to be his twin brother, Evan, to accompany his girlfriend, Gwen, on a road trip. At first, he didn’t agreed to do it but then because he was drunk and easily persuaded, he end up saying yes to his brother. However, he intended to end the relationship that morning of their first meet with the girl but then his plans were blown when finally got to meet Gwen, his twin brother’s girlfriend. Ethan’s plan of breaking up with Gwen flew out of the window when he was met with a hurricane of energy and brains and hotness. So he went with her on that road trip. After all, what’s the worst that could happen? Well, a lot.

First thoughts about this book, there’s a twin. I love twin stories! I think it’s one way to get my attention towards books! If there’s twins in it, sign me up imma devour that baby! And then it’s a road trip, dang! I’m sold!

I was immediately hooked the moment I read the first sentence. Well, knowing that there’re twins in it already had me hooked.

Onto the characters now.
Let’s start with the male protagonist, Ethan.

I like Ethan’s character. He’s gentleman, sincere, thoughtful, sweet, and very, very naughty. I mean he is like a cinnamon roll kind of character but with a very wild imagination when it comes to Gwen. His thoughts were not a secret both to the reader and Gwen. He vocalized his want towards Gwen a handful of times that I sometimes find them cute with their teasing and stuff.
I appreciate every effort Ethan did for Gwen. I mean, he’s the type of guy you wouldn’t want to let go. Definitely a keeper, that guy! Up till the end, his efforts were awesome and I feel like I appreciate his efforts more than Gwen did. Haha! Anyway, despite Ethan being a handsome, irresistible munchkin I didn’t swoon to him like I usually do whenever I met a guy like him. I don’t know. He’s a great character but I guess I just don’t want to be on Gwen’s bad side. xD
I actually felt bad for him for being in the situation he was in and the circumstances of his relationship with Gwen, how they started the wrong way but also the perfect way. I can’t imagine him and Gwen meeting any other way. You could say that it was a blessing in disguise despite the pain they both suffered when all was revealed around the end.


Next is Guinevere, commonly known as Gwen.

I love Gwen! She was described as “a redheaded hurricane of energy and brains” and also very hot. But that’s not what I loved about her. I love her because she’s very talkative. She talks a lot and really fast. Sometimes she makes sense most of the times she just rambles. And I know that is a weird trait but I love that about her because I can relate to her in that department. Talking a lot of time most people would eventually get tired of hearing your voice. And she’s not a pathetic heroine! She’s not a weak type of heroine. She’s actually pretty strong and independent and feisty. She’s not dependent on men either. I like that she has a strong persona. She and Evan is a perfect pair!


Their story is very close to reality and actually has the possibility of happening to real people. And what’s amazing is the delivery of the story of this book feels like it was based on true events.
I love the story so much. There’s not much mushy, cheesy scenes aside from Ethan being a nerd. There’s no excessive drama either. It felt like everything is chill about this book until the bomb exploded and even then the drama doesn’t feel too heavy. Just a light drama but drama nonetheless.
There are also times that I’d laugh out loud while reading. In all honesty, the only book that could make me laugh out loud while reading was Rick Riordan’s books. And this made me laugh like I was actually a movie instead of reading a book. The kilig moments I felt while reading this are real. Even though there are only few kilig moments in this book (huh. Funny, I just noticed that while writing this review).

The narration of the book is also great. It is told in a first person POV and it was written so amazingly that I read them very fast. I managed to finish this book around more or less 5 hours. And it was narrated so great that I indeed felt like I watched a movie instead of reading. I seriously had fun reading this.

Also, I love the ending so much. And I have some suspicions about those two people who went missing on the epilogue part of this book. I wonder if they got to have a book of their own.

To wrap this up, this book is a very great read in contemporary, romance, adult genre. I don’t usually give so high a rate on adult contemporaries because for some reason, I find them lacking despite being so satisfying. (I hope that makes sense.) But this book is really a great read. I recommend this bessies! Read it!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts!